May 17, 2026

‘Dubai is finished’: Expats say they will leave and never come back as tax-free dream is shattered by war and officials begin prosecuting people for posting videos of missiles

Is the Dubai Dream Over?

‘Dubai is finished’: Expats say they will leave and never come back

Once a tax-free haven attracting influencers from across the globe and Brits seeking warm weather, Dubai’s carefully crafted image has been shattered and residents believe it is ‘finished’.

Expats claim they will leave Dubai and never return as they fear for their lives and see their businesses destroyed while missiles continue to rain down over the United Arab Emirates.

Once a tax-free haven attracting influencers from across the globe and thousands of Brits seeking warm weather and crime free streets, Dubai’s carefully crafted image has been shattered and residents believe it is ‘finished’.

The emirate, home to around 240,000 British expats including Rio and Kate Ferdinand, Luisa Zissman and Petra Ecclestone, has been targeted by constant Iranian missile and drone attacks as the regime strikes US allies in the Middle East.

Dubai has been the target of two thirds of Iran’s missiles and three massive explosions rocked the city on Wednesday morning, with the international airport sustaining damage.

Four people were injured as two drones hit the terminal, while a string of major airlines cancelled all flights to the region for weeks. 

Even the world famous Fairmont hotel on Palm Jumeirah was struck by Iran, while employees at western banks including Standard Chartered and Citi evacuated their offices amid threats from the Islamic Republic that they were the next targets of their bombing onslaught. 

Four people have been killed so far and tens of thousands of residents and tourists have now fled in the weeks since the conflict began.

And those who remain face prosecution if they post videos of missiles overhead, despite constant phone alerts warning them to stay away from windows and seek shelter.

Dubai does not have vast oil reserves and relies on its expat population, which makes up 90 per cent of the city.

It has launched a desperate public relations campaign, telling people the ‘big booms’ in the sky are ‘the sound of us being safe’ as the UAE air defence system takes action.

But it has done little to quell fears.  

‘The shine has definitely been taken off,’ John Trudinger, a British Dubai resident of 16 years, told The Guardian.

The headteacher employs more than 100 teachers from the UK at his Emirati school and claims most are so ‘deeply traumatised and really struggling to cope’ with the war that they have fled and will never return.

Taxi driver Zain Anwar saw his car destroyed in a missile attack and said his family are begging him to return home to Pakistan.

He said: ‘I don’t want to be in Dubai any more, there is no business, we are earning nothing since this war, and I don’t see the tourism coming back. 

‘A lot of taxi drivers like me, we are thinking to go to a different country now. Everybody knows that Dubai is finished.’ 

Iran has continued to pound the city, sending 1,700 projectiles in two weeks, although 90 per cent have been destroyed by air defence systems.

But on Saturday, a drone was caught on video sending up a huge pall of smoke near the airport. 

The official Dubai Media Office continued to insist that ‘no incident’ had occurred at the airport as it clamps down on those sharing footage of damage. 

Authorities in the UAE have charged 21 people with cyber crimes for circulating videos showing missiles and explosions. 

This includes a Brit who filmed missiles passing overhead and immediately deleted the footage when asked. 

Content creators posting ‘misinformation’ face jail time and on Tuesday police said those posting anything which contradicts public announcements, ‘causing public panic’ could face two years behind bars and a fine of £40,000.

And Dubai’s influencer army has released a barrage of posts praising its government in suspiciously similar language – amid claims some are being paid to pump out ‘propaganda’. 

Content creators with hundreds of thousands of followers between them have responded to Iranian attacks by sharing images of Dubai leader Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum alongside the words, ‘I know who protects us’. 

The posts begin by asking ‘are you scared?’ before flashing up images of Al Maktoum waving to adoring crowds.

Sceptical social media users have responded by claiming the influencers are being paid by the UAE government, also several have spoken out to deny this.

Online content creators need a licence to operate in Dubai, and its government responded to the outbreak of war by threatening prison against anyone sharing information that ‘results in inciting panic among people’.

The tough stance is believed to have encouraged self-censorship by influencers in the Gulf state, with earlier clips of Iranian drone and missile attacks now swamped by posts lauding the regime.

In the first days of the conflict, the government cracked down on ‘citizen journalists’ reposting genuine footage of the first wave of attacks, which included a drone strike on the five-star Fairmont Hotel on the Palm Jumeirah.

The Dubai Media Office responded within a few hours by claiming that ‘outdated images of past fire incidents’ in Dubai were being spread to stoke fear among the city’s residents.

Among the influencers, Kate Ferdinand previously opened up on relocating to the Middle East where she revealed she was ‘homesick and struggling’.

But she made a dramatic U-turn, boasting about how her kids are ‘learning things they wouldn’t in the UK’.

While Luisa Zissman shared a post mocking scared tourists who’ve escaped Dubai and are ‘making out they’ve come back from the frontlines’.

More at:

‘Comatose’ Mojtaba Khamenei ‘is UNAWARE there is a war on and has no idea he is supreme leader’, report says – despite regime issuing his ‘first statement’

‘Comatose’ Mojtaba Khamenei ‘is UNAWARE there is a war’

He is reportedly in a coma at the Sina University Hospital in Tehran following an airstrike, according to a source in Tehran.

China’s Infiltration of the U.S.: CCP Surrogacy and Birth Tourism

John Solomon Says China Infiltrated Voter ID Databases — Evidence Set to Explode as Gabbard, Ratcliffe, and Patel Conduct ‘Extraordinary Review’

“Did you follow state law? Because if you didn’t administer a federal election the way it was supposed to be administered under state law, you can be charged federally.”

John Solomon Says China Infiltrated Voter ID Databases – Evidence Set to Explode as Gabbard, Ratcliffe, and Patel Conduct ‘Extraordinary Review’ | The Gateway Pundit | by Jim Hᴏft

Investigative journalist John Solomon joined Benny Johnson this week to deliver a chilling update on the state of our Republic.

North Korean Operatives Infiltrating U.S. Companies Through Remote Tech Jobs

North Korean Operatives Infiltrating U.S. Companies Through Remote Tech Jobs

U.S. officials estimate the operation now affects hundreds of companies and generates hundreds of millions of dollars annually for the North Korean government.

| Video Trending

Chris Menahan 🇺🇸 on X (formerly Twitter): “Chris Christie says Jared Kushner got him fired from the Trump transition team for prosecuting his criminal father, Charles: “[Jared said] that it should have never been prosecuted … it was something that should have been handled by the rabbis.”[📽️ via @WeTheFifth ] pic.twitter.com/6UYx6hrFyy / X”

Chris Christie says Jared Kushner got him fired from the Trump transition team for prosecuting his criminal father, Charles: “[Jared said] that it should have never been prosecuted … it was something that should have been handled by the rabbis.”[📽️ via @WeTheFifth ] pic.twitter.com/6UYx6hrFyy

Joshua Hall on X (formerly Twitter): “🚨BREAKING: 🚨THE DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA HE WAS LOOKING FOR AN ELECTION TO STEAL – The Fulton County Board of Elections says they owe President Trump an apology after a county election official has reportedly come forward to reveal that he was contacted by Georgia Secretary… pic.twitter.com/L37iJSzePb / X”

🚨BREAKING: 🚨THE DEVIL WENT DOWN TO GEORGIA HE WAS LOOKING FOR AN ELECTION TO STEAL – The Fulton County Board of Elections says they owe President Trump an apology after a county election official has reportedly come forward to reveal that he was contacted by Georgia Secretary… pic.twitter.com/L37iJSzePb

Gunther Eagleman™ on X (formerly Twitter): “🚨 BREAKING: Senator Tommy Tuberville just went FULL WARRIOR MODE, vowing to pull a DAYS-LONG talking filibuster and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to ram the SAVE America Act through the Senate!”I promise you, I will be on the floor as long as it takes… Nothing else matters. If we… pic.twitter.com/754IA5D9uC / X”

🚨 BREAKING: Senator Tommy Tuberville just went FULL WARRIOR MODE, vowing to pull a DAYS-LONG talking filibuster and do WHATEVER IT TAKES to ram the SAVE America Act through the Senate!”I promise you, I will be on the floor as long as it takes… Nothing else matters. If we… pic.twitter.com/754IA5D9uC

NewsForce on X (formerly Twitter): “ISRAELI TECH JUST MADE UNDERGROUND BUNKERS LOOK USELESSIsraeli strikes on Iran’s buried missile sites showed how modern surveillance can spot heat, vibration, and other signals even from deep underground. So the old “hide it in a mountain” strategy is starting to look a lot… pic.twitter.com/InIX4TEOx7 / X”

ISRAELI TECH JUST MADE UNDERGROUND BUNKERS LOOK USELESSIsraeli strikes on Iran’s buried missile sites showed how modern surveillance can spot heat, vibration, and other signals even from deep underground. So the old “hide it in a mountain” strategy is starting to look a lot… pic.twitter.com/InIX4TEOx7

Share the News