According to a 2021 Rasmussen phone poll of 1000 likely US voters, about 58% of the American voting public views the media as the “enemy of the people.” Rasmussen Reports has this to say:
A new national telephone and online survey by Rasmussen Reports finds that 58% of Likely U.S. Voters at least somewhat agree that the media are “truly the enemy of the people,” including 34% who Strongly Agree. Thirty-six percent (36%) don’t agree, including 23% who Strongly Disagree.
Three questions were asked of poll participants:
- Do you trust the political news you are getting?
- How serious of a problem is “fake news” in the media?
- Do you agree or disagree with this statement: The media are “truly the enemy of the people”?
The wording of the third question echoed Trump’s 2019 tweet in which he said “Fake News is truly the ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE!”
Here’s how the entirety of the poll results broke down, as Newsmax reports:
- 76% of Republicans agree with the “enemy of the people” phrase in describing the media.
- 37% of Democrats agree with the phrase.
- 61% of independents agree with the phrase.
- 83% of voters believe “fake news” is a serious problem in the media, compared to 14% who disagree.
- 92% of Republicans believe “fake news” is a serious problem, compared to 74% of Democrats. 82% of independents believe it to be a serious problem.
- 37% say they trust the political news they’re getting, compared to 43% who don’t trust it. 20% are not sure.
- 54% believe that most reporters who write or talk about President Joe Biden are attempting to help him pass his agenda.
Supermajorities of Republicans and Independents agree with the “enemy of the people phrase.” A significant minority of Democrats agree. A huge chunk of the population, >80%, views fake news as a problem. Many view the political news as untrustworthy and think reporters are trying to help Biden rather than report on the news.
Though the poll was conducted in July of 2021, it’s unlikely the news for the news has gotten much better, as the trend has been toward a more and more negative view of the media.